corps intermédiaires

Alessandra_mtp

France french
Bonjour

Sauriez-vous comment traduire en anglais l'expression "corps intermédiaires" c'est à dire ce qui comprend les associations, syndicats, collectivités locales...
?

Merci d'avance

• Moon Palace

French
    Would 'intermediate bodies' work in English? Because we also have the phrase 'les organisations représentatives', but what is meant here is the idea that they are the middlemen in a way between the people and the rulers, which is not conveyed by 'representative bodies' as well.

Padraig

Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    Would 'intermediate bodies' work in English? Because we also have the phrase 'les organisations représentatives', but what is meant here is the idea that they are the middlemen in a way between the people and the rulers, which is not conveyed by 'representative bodies' as well.
    I don't think intermediate bodies works; it certainly doesn't for me. But I think that I might have been a bit off target with my suggestion because I attended more to syndicats that to the other types of body.

I don't think there is a generally-agreed way of referring to such bodies (in Ireland and Britain, at any rate). I think that is partly because bodies like that tend to operate separately: the idea of la vie associative does not have the same resonance for us as it does in France. How would I refer collectively to bodies like the Chamber of Commerce, the Tidy Town Committee, the Twinning Committee, and their ilk? The best I can do is community associations, and I don't think that has the sanction of being a universally-adopted term.

Moon Palace

French
    I don't think intermediate bodies works; it certainly doesn't for me. But I think that I might have been a bit off target with my suggestion because I attended more to syndicats that to the other types of body.

I don't think there is a generally-agreed way of referring to such bodies (in Ireland and Britain, at any rate). I think that is partly because bodies like that tend to operate separately: the idea of la vie associative does not have the same resonance for us as it does in France. How would I refer collectively to bodies like the Chamber of Commerce, the Tidy Town Committee, the Twinning Committee, and their ilk? The best I can do is community associations, and I don't think that has the sanction of being a universally-adopted term.
    Thanks, I agree that the concept is inherent to French culture, hence the difficulty. 'community associations' sounds great to me, the returns on Google seem to fit with what we are seeking.

< Previous | Next >