Correct sequence of wording

< Previous | Next >

Roundhouse

Bengali
I am trying to say that the Employment Insurance (EI) reduces Income Inequality. But I am getting tangled up in the words.

• The difference between the market income Gini coefficient and the Gini coefficient after adding EI benefits to market income [,] is the redistributional impact of EI.
This one below would be too confusing and repetitive:
  • The difference between the market income Gini coefficient and the market income Gini coefficient after adding EI benefits [,] is the redistributional impact of EI.

So trying to convey this : Gini (Market Income) - Gini (Market Income + EI Benefits) = the reduction in Inequality due to EI.

I am not sure if the way I have written is idiomatic. I tried to put a comma there just to make it easier to parse. Any suggestions?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    You definitely should not have a comma separating a verb from its subject, although if you included a parenthetical phrase within the subject you could have two commas.

To me your second sentence is clearer, but I have no idea what a Gini coefficient is, or how the term is used in a sentence, and what "market income" adds to the term. I don't know what "market income" is either, for that matter.

If "market income" is implicit in "Gini coefficient" then sentence (1) is fine, but if not, you need either something like sentence (2) or something like "...between the Gini coefficients for market income on its own and market income plus EI benefits...".

Roundhouse

Bengali
    You definitely should not have a comma separating a verb from its subject, although if you included a parenthetical phrase within the subject you could have two commas.

To me your second sentence is clearer, but I have no idea what a Gini coefficient is, or how the term is used in a sentence, and what "market income" adds to the term. I don't know what "market income" is either, for that matter.

If "market income" is implicit in "Gini coefficient" then sentence (1) is fine, but if not, you need either something like sentence (2) or something like "...between the Gini coefficients for market income on its own and market income plus EI benefits...".
    Uncle Jack,

Market Income is simply what one earns, and then there are the government transfers like EI, social assistance, etc.

There is no specific term for Market Income plus EI, but there is one for After-Tax Income (which is all government transfers added to Market Income and then minus all taxes). The Gini is just a measure/index of inequality.

It is important for me to mention Market Income Gini as I am only talking about the difference between the persons pay check, and paycheck plus EI benefits. There is After-tax income Gini, hence mentioning Market Income is important. When transfers such as EI, social assistance, child benefits are added to Market Income, then it is called Total Income. But with only EI, I cant call it Total Income.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    The difference is only the one Gini coefficient minus the other. This cannot be the redistributional impact of EI, because the dimensions of the difference will be a numerical value, in this case less than one because Gini coefficients are themselves never more than one.

I'd say that the difference could be said to illustrate this impact, or even, perhaps, to measure this impact.

Roundhouse

Bengali
    The difference is only the one Gini coefficient minus the other. This cannot be the redistributional impact of EI, because the dimensions of the difference will be a numerical value, in this case less than one because Gini coefficients are themselves never more than one.

I'd say that the difference could be said to illustrate this impact, or even, perhaps, to measure this impact.
    Hi Thomas, you are right that the Gini is between 0 and 1. The difference between the Gini coefficients is actually the reduction in income inequality due to EI. And since EI redistributes income, I wanted to write that the redistributional impact of EI is the reduction in the Gini by say some fraction. You pointed it out correctly, my sentence does not sound right. The difference in Gini shows/measures the redistributional impact. Thanks!!

< Previous | Next >