'Correctly' : why is it not an adjective.

< Previous | Next >

Rishabh Anand

Hindi
Correctly: why is it not an adjective? <---Subject line added to post by moderator (Copyright)--->

Hi guys,

Recently I came across this word 'correctly' and relating it to parts of speech I thought it was an adjective as it adds meaning to a noun. But when I searched it I found it to be an adverb.
Can anyone please clarify my doubt taking in consideration the definition of parts of <speech> too.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Andygc

British English
    Please provide a sentence in which you think "correctly" has been used as an adjective.

PS ... and welcome to the forum.

Rishabh Anand

Hindi
    "She pronounced the word quiet correctly."

This is the sentence. Thanks for welcoming me.
    Sorry for the late reply.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Hiya R.A. - welcome to the forum.

She pronounced the word quiet correctly.
    In this sentence, which word does "correctly" modify? In terms of meaning, what thing or person or action is "correct"?

The sentence doesn't say that she is a correct person (someone who is always correct).
    The sentence doesn't say that "quiet" is a correct word (that depends on where "quiet" is used).
    The sentence says that the action "pronounced" was done correctly. "Pronounced" is a verb.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Your uncertainty is understandable. I think puttiing 'quiet' between quotation marks/inverted commas would have made the meaning clearer.

Corrected (sorry :oops: ).

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    "She pronounced the word quiet correctly."

This is the sentence. Thanks for welcoming me.
    Sorry for the late reply.
    'Correctly' tells us how she pronounced 'quiet'. Adverbs tell us things about verbs (in this case 'to pronounce').

Adjectives tell us things about nouns.

If you say 'She was correct in her pronunciation', 'Correct' (an adjective) tells us something about her (She, the subject of the sentence, a noun).

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    "She pronounced the word "quiet" correctly."
    or
    "She pronounced the word quite correctly."

Which did you mean, Rishabh Anand?

Rishabh Anand

Hindi
    Hiya R.A. - welcome to the forum.

In this sentence, which word does "correctly" modify? In terms of meaning, what thing or person or action is "correct"?

The sentence doesn't say that she is a correct person (someone who is always correct).
    The sentence doesn't say that "quiet" is a correct word (that depends on where "quiet" is used).
    The sentence says that the action "pronounced" was done correctly. "Pronounced" is a verb.

A very good explanation indeed! Thanks for helping out.

< Previous | Next >