Correlative Conjunctions/Punctuation

< Previous | Next >

Bonhomie

Portuguese (Brazil)
Hi there,

which of the following is the correct answer?

a) She hasn't chosen the baby's name yet, but it will be either Mary, or Nicole, or Amanda, or Elizabeth.

b) She hasn't chosen the baby's name yet, but it will be either Mary or Nicole or Amanda or Elizabeth.

c) She hasn't chosen the baby's name yet, but it will be Mary, Nicole, Amanda or Elizabeth.

• Bonhomie

Portuguese (Brazil)
    What is the question?
    a) She hasn't chosen the baby's name yet, but it will be either Mary, or Nicole, or Amanda, or Elizabeth.

b) She hasn't chosen the baby's name yet, but it will be either Mary or Nicole or Amanda or Elizabeth.

c) She hasn't chosen the baby's name yet, but it will be Mary, Nicole, Amanda or Elizabeth.

Bonhomie

Portuguese (Brazil)

Hi RM1,

I would like to know if when multiple nouns are used, I should separate them with commas, when correlative conjunctions are used. Or maybe I should not use correlative conjunctions in this case and just use "or" before the last noun.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I would use (c). If you really want to use multiple ors, the only difference I see is that (a) seems to emphasize the individual choices.

< Previous | Next >