Corsican: calmana

MammaMia10

French - France, Corsican - Corsica
Hi everyone !

I was wondering if the word « calmana » existed in italian? It means the hottest hours in the summer during the day (In Corsican "Ore calurose di u ghjornu d’estate: parte, travaglià o ripusassi durante a carmana."). Also, I am looking for a translation in English, and I thought maybe saying unbearably hot instead, or something with blazing hot but I am not too sure. The sentence I am translating is "Calda hà da esse a ghjurnata, di calmana assuffucante."

Thanks!

• Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    Saluti!

In Sardinian and Italian exists the word "caldana" with the same meaning of Corsican "calmana" (the hottest hours in the summer during the day). In Italian also means when a person have a "coup de chaleur". Another synonymous in Italian could be "calura" (the hottest hours in the summer during the day).

I've searched in English a possible translation for "caldo soffocante", I've found "stiffling heat" or "scorching heat", or "stiffling / scorching hot"

"Calda hà da esse a ghjurnata, di calmana assuffucante." -> The day will be hot, stiffling hot.

Italian : La giornata sarà calda, una caldana / calura soffocante.
    Sardinian : Sa die hat a essere calda, una caldana de isfiadare.

Saludos dae Sardigna. A nos intendere!

MammaMia10

French - France, Corsican - Corsica
    Saluti amicu!

Thank you so much for your response, it's really helping me :)

Abbracci di Corsica !

< Previous | Next >