frog76

italian
Salve
Come si traduce "cose mai viste" cose "dell'altro mondo"
Grazie

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Flaviam88

Italian
    Ciao a tutt*. I see this thread focussed more on the second phrase 'cose di un altro mondo' but I feel that 'cose mai viste' has a slightly different meaning - I translated it as 'unprecedented'. The context is a comment by Indro Montanelli about the Rome 1960 Olympics:
    La Svizzera, che doveva ospitarle, le Olimpiadi le ha declinate. Ha detto che il suo bilancio non le consentiva di spendere miliardi su miliardi in attrezzature di cui poi non avrebbe saputo cosa farsi. Roma ha brigato per farsele assegnare. E non esito a credere agli organizzatori, quando dicono che faranno « cose mai viste », in tutto « degne del grande nome e del prestigio dell' Urbe (Corriere della Sera, Sunday 30 August 1959, 3.)

Switzerland, who were going to host the Olympics, declined. They said their budget did not allow them to spend billions upon billions on infrastructure that they would not now what to do with afterwards. Rome schemed to have them assigned. And I don’t hesitate to believe the organisers when they say they will do "unprecedented things", that will be overall “worthy": of the great name and prestige of the Eternal City

Let me know what you think (also a bit hard to tranlsate 'l'Urbe' which is why I went for the more popularly known synonym Eternal city but that is probably a thread in itself)
    Flavia

Last edited:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    It could be just me, but "unprecedented things" sounds very slightly sinister, when the context (seeing that the Rome representatives are saying it about themselves) calls for something entirely positive. I might go with a simple "things no one has ever seen before." ("The Eternal City" is great, though!)

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    Or rather than "unprecedented things" which I agree sounds a little strange here, you could say "things without precedent" which sounds much more positive (and boastful ;)). Also adding to YLR's you could also say "never-before-seen things".

Flaviam88

Italian
    Or rather than "unprecedented things" which I agree sounds a little strange here, you could say "things without precedent" which sounds much more positive (and boastful ;)). Also adding to YLR's you could also say "never-before-seen things".
    Thanks @rrose17 - 'without precedent' is good and works given that it is for the Olympics which has numerous precedents!

What is the difference? I can't see any.
    In the contexts I have heard these phrases used 'di un altro mondo' suggests they are completely alien while 'cose mai viste' could happen but just have not happened yet and isn't that exciting?
    Ma forse sono le famose distinzioni poetiche @Paulfromitaly ?