Cosi mi fai stringere il cuore.

Ceetee8

English - United States
first time posting. I've been corresponding with an old boyfriend who now lives in Italy. During a conversation today, I told him he still has a special place in my heart. And he responded with "Cosi mi fai stringere il cuore. Ti voglio un gran bene anch'io.". I've read enough on here to understand "ti voglio bene..." But the on line translations I've checked for the 1st sentence are confusing. Any help is appreciated.

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Sounds nice to me. I don't think a literal translation of "stringere" works here. I'd think of it as something like, "You warm the cockles of my heart." ;)
    or "You made my heart skip a beat."
    Curious to see what the Italians say........

Mary49

Italian
    I must say that the Italian expression is not used in its original meaning, in fact something that can "stringere il cuore" or "far provare una stretta al cuore" is negative, distressing, sorrowful, sad: Cuore - Dizionario dei modi di dire - Corriere.it "stringere il cuore • Fig.: impietosire, provocare una pena intensa; anche commuovere profondamente".
    cuore: significato e definizione - Dizionari - La Repubblica "Sentirsi stringere il cuore, provare improvvisa pena".
    But in this particular case it is used to express a strong positive emotion.

Tina_

Italian - Italy
    Hello everyone. It's also my first time posting here, I was interested in your answers and decided to register... because I'm not convinced by what has been said so far.
    Ceetee8, I think your old boyfriend is showing a little bit of regret as said Pietruzzo, but he's also especially moved by your words. I think it's something positive. I think he's saying it with affection.

When we Italian say "Mi si stringe il cuore" it refers to something that moved us so much that we feel almost pain (to an emotional level).

:) Sorry for the intrusion, I hope it goes well.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    OK, not sure I got it wrong, then. Tina says it's positive and he's saying it with affection. That's how it sounds to me, too. I read the other thread and there doesn't seem to be one satisfactory translation.

Ceetee8

English - United States
    Thank you all for your thoughts! All very helpful..... It just goes to show how interesting it can be to have a conversation in two (well, three, we met in a French speaking country and sometimes revert to French lol) languages ;)

sorry66

English, England
    What about 'that touches my heart'?
    Or, if that doesn't cover the 'pain' of what he feels: 'that gives my heart a little pang'?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >