Cosmopolitan / international

Disturbance

Spanish-Uruguay
Context:
"Most people know they should behave in a responsible way and just need prompting to do so. So a quirky, mundane gimmick might be enough to change behavior. With this in context, the city of Berlin is a consmopolitan city- when someone drops an item of rubbish into them. It might just do the trick in this city, too"

Hello I have doubts what cosmopolitan means here, and what is the difference between that word and international because I looked it up in a dictionary and says that cosmopolitan means containing or having experience of people and things from many different part of the world:

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The source of your sentences seems to be here, and it's a multiple-choice test.
    http://www.ltmeliadegl.ro/images/11A_locala_2015_reviz..pdf

"Most people know they should behave in a responsible way and just need (11)……..to do so. So a quirky, (12)………..gimmick might be enough to change behavior. With this in (13)………., the city of Berlin is introducing rubbish bins that say ‘danke’, ‘thank you’ and ‘merci’ - Berlin is a(n) (14)………..city-when someone drops an item of rubbish into them."

"Cosmopolitan" doesn't seem to be the best choice of word here. I think "international" is justified since it explains why the bins "speak" several languages. The sentences you quoted don't really make sense, since text has been omitted.:(

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Thank you, Velisarius! The original misquote didn't make sense.

Also: Clarity might have been improved if the original author had used dashes (or parentheses) instead of floating hyphens around "Berlin is an international city".

P.S.: What a great notion, if the statement about the grateful trash bins is true; New York could use those! (We'd probably add Spanish and Mandarin.)

< Previous | Next >