Coto de Poder

< Previous | Next >

Revoltaire

Spanish
Dear all,

I have a question regarding this phrase "coto de poder". How would you translate it in English.

here the context:

El sindicato se oponia a los cambios del nuevo gobierno para proteger sus 'cotos de poder'.

My attempt:

The union was opposed to the changes of the new government to protect its 'domains of power'.

Thank you !!

• Tazzler

American English
    Whatever the translation is having "to protect" right after "new government" makes it seem like the government wants to protect something, not the union. Unless that's what you mean?

gengo

American English
    I suggest you use the active voice of the verb to oppose, to make it clear what the connection is to "to protect."

The union opposed the new government's changes in order to protect its power bases.

Adolfo Afogutu

Español
    Whatever the translation is having "to protect" right after "new government" makes it seem like the government wants to protect something, not the union. Unless that's what you mean?
    To some extent, the same thing could be said about the original phrase in Spanish, which could be rephrased in order to avoid any "theorical" ambiguity: Para proteger sus cotos de poder, el sindicato se oponía a los cambios del nuevo gobierno.
    Saludos

Bienvenido, Revoltaire.

Revoltaire

Spanish
    Thank you all !!

I think "power bases" or "domains of power" will work just fine. Thank you for correcting the order of the sentence as well.

Many thanks to all :)

< Previous | Next >