cotton dari

< Previous | Next >

Lee Jongho

Korean
What does "cotton dari" mean?

The complete sentence is "The front panel is made of 100% cotton dari "

The source is about Kalera Pillow Cover by Pottery Barn.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Ah, I thought this sounded familiar. There is an English word 'dhurrie' for a kind of cloth, and it does come from the Hindi.

cross-posted while swearing at my computer for freezing

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A "dari"appears to be a handwoven rug/carpet of wool or cotton. The following Indian website Export Data and Price of cotton dari under HS Code 4202 | Zauba gives an idea of its linguistic and general use.

Daris are usually primitive in design and finish. I suspect that "cotton dari" in the OP refers to the nature of the material (i.e. rug-like or thick or primitively woven) rather than its being a rug.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Yes, you're right. It seems to be about the material rather than the item itself. Here vendors also go door to door collecting old, used clothes and giving people daris in exchange. Daris don't cost much usually.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    "DARI, Daree or Durree. HIND. The cotton-striped or patterned carpet of India; also a stout twill cloth, woven like a dari (carpet), only finer."

There were only two posts in this thread when I started my search....

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Dhurrie' is the spelling I know from dictionaries, but it is a silly old-fashioned spelling if the Hindi doesn't have /dh/, so the more modern 'dari' is much more sensible, though not yet in Wiktionary.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Lol! It's the other way around: Hindi does have a "dh" sound; I think it's English that doesn't seem to have this sound originally. But in the Hindi word "dari/dhurie", "d" (/dh) is pronounced like "th" in "this", not like "d" in "dog." "Dh" is another story/sound.

< Previous | Next >