<couch> anti-slavery programs in terms of "vestiges"

dhchong

Korean
Hi, guys.
This is from CNN report "Report: Mauritania is no longer the world's slavery capital" and the web address is "North Korea, not Mauritania, is world's slavery capital, report says - CNN.com"

It's difficult to get information out of the country. Top government officials continue to deny slavery exists in Mauritania. They often couch anti-slavery programs in terms of "vestiges" of the practice.
The underlined sentence is a liitle bit vague to me. Does it mean that they advice the members of anti-slavery programs to tell to people outside the programs that although there exist anti-slavery programs, the programs are just vestiges of the practice. Or the tell to the members of anti-slavery programs that the programs are not necessary because slavery only exists in terms of vestiges of practice.

Is the sentence clear to you natives?

Thank you for your help in advance.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Or the tell to the members of anti-slavery programs that the programs are not necessary because slavery only exists in terms of vestiges of practice.
    Almost that.:)
    Anti-slavery programmes are set up to deal with "vestiges" of slavery, i.e. the authorities deny that systematic slavery even exists today.

Yes, I think the sentence is clear.

< Previous | Next >