couch potato

Kimmi G

Chinese
Schumpeter Video gamers v couch potatoes

The intense, year-round relationship between e-sports and its fan base should strike fear into the heart of the sports and entertainment industries whose core audiences are ageing fast. Trigger-happy 15-35 year-olds are literally calling the shots. They have the dependable era of the couch-potato in their sights.

Question:
What does the last sentence mean?
Are video gamers and couch potatoes the same group of people?
Thanks in advance!

Edited question:
emm, I know the basic definition of "couch potato" in the dictionary. But what I'm asking about is not the definition of this term, but the meaning behind the last sentence.

From the first sentence of this excerpt, I think the author strikes a contrast between these two groups - video gamers vs. couch potatoes.
So I'm wondering what does "the dependable era of the couch-potato" mean...

<Edited by moderator (Florentia52) for readability>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • kentix

English - U.S.
    It's not clearly written but my best guess what it means is that in the past the sports and entertainment industries had a wide and loyal audience that they would cater to. They made lots of money from advertisers targeting the people who enjoyed watching their product. The new generation has different interests and so those fans from earlier eras are dying off and not being replaced. The video gamers are going to displace those sports-watching couch potatoes as the primary entertainment market.

"They have them in their sights" is just the writer being a bit cute with a metaphor. The video gamers spend their time getting things in their sights and shooting them in the virtual world. They aren't doing that in real life with the sports fans but the writer is saying that just like they win their battles in the virtual world they are going to win this one, too, and will pass those other people to become the most popular form of entertainment. The companies that made money off of the loyal and dependable sport-loving couch potatoes will find their audience is not so dependable anymore.

Kimmi G

Chinese
    It's not clearly written but my best guess what it means is that in the past the sports and entertainment industries had a wide and loyal audience that they would cater to. They made lots of money from advertisers targeting the people who enjoyed watching their product. The new generation has different interests and so those fans from earlier eras are dying off and not being replaced. The video gamers are going to displace those sports-watching couch potatoes as the primary entertainment market.

"They have them in their sights" is just the writer being a bit cute with a metaphor. The video gamers spend their time getting things in their sights and shooting them in the virtual world. They aren't doing that in real life with the sports fans but the writer is saying that just like they win their battles in the virtual world they are going to win this one, too, and will pass those other people to become the most popular form of entertainment. The companies that made money off of the loyal and dependable sport-loving couch potatoes will find their audience is not so dependable anymore.
    Awww, thank you sooooo much for your precious time and the detailed answer! Deeply appreciated!

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I think that what is badly written here is that we normally understand the term "(video) gamer" to mean someone who habitually plays (video) games.
    But here the term seems to refer to those who design and promote these games.

< Previous | Next >