couch potato

etmum

French France
Hi ! Could anyone explain the origin of "couch potato" (not the meaning, I know it). Thanks:D

• Agnès E.

France, French
    Hi, etmum!
    I am moving your thread to the English Only forum, as I think you will have more chances to get an accurate reply there. :)

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    etmum said:
    Hi ! Could anyone explain the origin of "couch potato" (not the meaning, I know it). Thanks:D
    I'm not a native speaker but my guess is: a potato is a vegetable (literally) and so is a couch potato(in the figurative sense - someone who "vegetates" in front of the telly)

Carlo

Philippa

Britain - English
    etmum said:
    Hi!
    A little googling has lead me to: Couch potato possibly from eating potato chips in front of the TV Source: Wikipedia
    or from 'vegging out' in front of the TV Source as moodywop suggests: The phrase finder
    and the very bizarre: Couch potato from raw potatoes growing between the sofa's cushions Source: Uncyclopedia
    (and here's what Wikipedia says about Uncyclopedia)
    jejeje!!
    Philippa :)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Contrary to the assertions of some poltroons, this term is relatively recent, having been first recorded around 1979.
    Claims that Bill Gates or Al Gore or Margaret Thatcher coined the phrase are totally specious. Attribution to Dick Chaney is also unreliable.

M56

Banned
    Britain. English.
    etmum said:
    <A mouse potato is the computer equivalent of television's couch potato: someone who tends to spend a great deal of leisure time in front of the computer in much the same way the couch potato does in front of the television. Both activities tend to be accompanied by snacking. A recent survey by the American Snack Food Association found that 85% of Web surfers snack at the computer. It has been observed that this habitual nibbling and relative inactivity can lead to development of a characteristic potato-like body form.>

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci342275,00.html

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Well, really - have a look at this wonderful definition from the OED (earliest example 1979):D
    couch potato slang (orig. U.S.)
    potato app. punningly after (boob-)tuber = television addict and vegetable tuber, but perh. simply by association with VEGETABLE n, a person who spends leisure time passively or idly sitting around, esp. watching television or videotapes.

< Previous | Next >