couche perse

gemtrad

USA, English
Hello,

I'm unsure how to translate "couche perse" in the following context. I think what confuses me is the fact that it is in quotations, perhaps referring back to the Persian destruction of the Acropolis, thus "Persian layer"? But I haven't found any such reference or hits in Google or other references.

However, while researching "perse" on WR and the CNRTL site (http://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/pers) I found that "pers" also means "blue-green". And a google search also produced this hit (http://wiki.phantis.com/index.php/Acropolis,_Athens), which describes the geology of the Acropolis as "formed by a blue-grey limestone". So now I'm wondering if this could be the "couche perse" to which the text below is referring, thus "blue-grey limestone layer"? But again, why the quotations?
La destruction de l’Acropole d’Athènes par les Perses, en 480, provoqua le bris de nombre des sculptures qui ornaient les temples. Après leur victoire à Salamine, les Athéniens ensevelirent korai et éléments de frontons dans la roche, c’est ce qu’on appelle la « couche perse », et édifièrent dessus nouveaux bâtiments et murailles, en les utilisant parfois comme matériel de remploi.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• Francis Nugent Dixon

English - France
    The use of "Couche Perse" in this example has connotations of a "Time" environment.

In this case, although "the Persian Strata" looks good to me, you MAY possibly prefer "the Persian Era".

gemtrad

USA, English
    I too think that "couche" refers to a layer, or strata. I'm afraid that using "era", however, would lose the fundamental meaning of "couche" in this context, which indicates to the reader that the objects buried by the Athenians were underground, in a layer or strata.

I know now that, from the general consensus, "couche perse" was not meant to describe the color of the layer.

Thanks to you all for your input.

< Previous | Next >