Couche

Maroseika

Russian
In Russian we have an expression "Сорвать куш" meaning décrocher la timbale, to snatch a large sum.
Russian etymologists derivate this word куш ([kush] = somme rondelette, large sum) from the French couche.
However I don't see in my French dictionaries any significance of couche that could originate such significance.
Maybe this word has or had some other meaning, colloquial or slang?

• pomar

Italian
    I think it may mean ставка, the bet amount when playing cards or things like that.

pomar

Italian
    I'm really sorry, Maroseika, I don't rememeber where I got it from.
    But couche may also mean stratum, layer, bed (talking about mines and minerals). Couldn't cорвать куш mean something like "to find the good vein"?

scriptum

Israel / Hebrew, Russian
    My guess is that the Russian word originated not from "couche" but from "je me couche" / "les joueurs se couchent". One of the meanings of "se coucher" is to put one's cards on the table, to give up , "to pass". Now, if all the players but one "se couchent", then, naturally, the remaining one "sryvaiet kush". Of course this is no more than a guess.

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    My guess is that the Russian word originated not from "couche" but from "je me couche" / "les joueurs se couchent". One of the meanings of "se coucher" is to put one's cards on the table, to give up , "to pass".
    That is an intereresting possibility, though I have never heard this use of "se coucher", but it could very well be the case.
    This being said, куш ([kush] could also (just a wild guess) be linked to the word cash in English, itself coming from the French caisse (box, amount of money, cash box) as in "prendre la caisse" (take all the money).
    A wild guess ...

< Previous | Next >