coucou de la diplomatie

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by se4, Oct 4, 2007.

1. se4 New Member

London
    Italy - Italian
    Can anyone help translating into English the expression "coucou de la diplomatie"? This is the context where it was used: "Le cynisme
    avec lequel celui-ci avait raflé la mise de la libération des infirmières bulgares, en véritable coucou de la diplomatie, au nez et à la barbe de tous ceux qui la négociaient depuis de longues années...".

Thank you

2. anlorita Member

france, french
    Hello !
    This is the "coucou" as a bird... the one that lives in the swiss clocks, i think. His movement is really special when it comes out of his box ! i don't know if tou can use that image as well in english, sorry....but maybe this will help you !

3. se4 New Member

London
    Italy - Italian
    Thanks. I can't really think of a similar expression in English. I was thinking about translating the sentence as "a fine example of diplomacy", but I am not sure it is the right meaning.

4. Floor Senior Member

North of France
    French France
    Actually coucou is the bird but what is implied here is related to the specificity of this bird:
    they lay their eggs in other birds' nests. So they take advantage of the efforts made by other birds before for their own benefit.
    I think this could be a metaphor for what happened with the Bulgarian nurses.

5. se4 New Member

London
    Italy - Italian
    Yes! I think that's the point I was missing and that was making difficult to translate the expression.

Thank you so much!

6. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

a Johnny-come-lately

quelqu'un qui arrive tard pour se joindre à un mouvement ou une activité déjà en marche