coucou de la diplomatie

se4

Italy - Italian
Can anyone help translating into English the expression "coucou de la diplomatie"? This is the context where it was used: "Le cynisme
avec lequel celui-ci avait raflé la mise de la libération des infirmières bulgares, en véritable coucou de la diplomatie, au nez et à la barbe de tous ceux qui la négociaient depuis de longues années...".

Thank you

france, french
Hello !
This is the "coucou" as a bird... the one that lives in the swiss clocks, i think. His movement is really special when it comes out of his box ! i don't know if tou can use that image as well in english, sorry....but maybe this will help you !

se4

Italy - Italian
Thanks. I can't really think of a similar expression in English. I was thinking about translating the sentence as "a fine example of diplomacy", but I am not sure it is the right meaning.

Floor

French France
Actually coucou is the bird but what is implied here is related to the specificity of this bird:
they lay their eggs in other birds' nests. So they take advantage of the efforts made by other birds before for their own benefit.
I think this could be a metaphor for what happened with the Bulgarian nurses.

se4

Italy - Italian
Yes! I think that's the point I was missing and that was making difficult to translate the expression.

Thank you so much!

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
English - USA
a Johnny-come-lately

quelqu'un qui arrive tard pour se joindre à un mouvement ou une activité déjà en marche