1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

Coucou me revoilou!

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by WoNitano, Jan 28, 2008.

1. WoNitano New Member

Spain, Spanish
    Hi everyone!

The sentence "Ah, que coucou me revoilou!" I tried to look for it in all dictionaries and online forum discussions, but I don't get it... Also, I thought
    it had to do something with music, but it doesn't seem so. I've read it in many french blogs and forum discussions with no success...

The expression is the title of a fashion magazine article which talks about Johnny Hallyday (the popular singer) and quotes him this way. Any ideas? Personally I don't think it has anything to do with "cuckoo"...

Thanks a lot d'avance!

2. marcolo

marcolo Senior Member

Bordeaux, France
    France, french
    It means something like :

Hello, I am back !

"coucou" is a way of greeting, and "revoilou" is a colloquial version of "re-voila".

3. WoNitano New Member

Spain, Spanish
    I see, Thank you very much!:)

4. pitchou Senior Member

Namur
    Belgium French
    And I might add that Johnny is famous for always saying (apparently) "ah que" before every sentence, which basically does not mean anything...

5. Negentropy New Member

US; English
    "Me revoilou" of course is a "cutesy" kind of corruption of "me revoilà", which forces it into a rhyme with "coucou", but doesn't really add any meaning to, or modify the meaning of, the latter.

Now here's a REAL complex cultural/linguistic question (hopefully not a COMPLEXED question! LOL!):

Could any of you totally (or near-totally) bilingual folks tell me if you think that "coucou" carries a flirty tone or connotation, when used as a greeting between two "sexual/affectional eligibles" (ie, two people at least one of whom, the utterer of the "coucou", has or could conceivably ultimately have a sexual/affectional interest in the other and project this interest is or could conceivably ultimately be reciprocated? (Especially in comparison with other informal or slangy greetings, like "salut", "ciao", "hi", etc.?))

Note that I am not proposing this as a hypothesis, just asking. I have really NO idea whether it does or not, just the vaguest of hunches, and am hoping a discussion here might shed some light on that question!

6. miw Member

France, French
    There is indeed a belief that Johnny Hallyday always says "ah que" at the beginning of sentences. But I think it only comes from the "guignols de l'info" where he was always pictured doing so, and especially saying "ah que coucou".
    See also "Guignols de l'info" and "Boîte à coucou" on wikipedia).

Negentropy, I think you're right about "coucou" being a bit more intimate, but it's veery slight.

7. machigma Senior Member

France-French
    Could any of you totally (or near-totally) bilingual folks tell me if you think that "coucou" carries a flirty tone or connotation, when used as a greeting between two "sexual/affectional eligibles" (ie, two people at least one of whom, the utterer of the "coucou", has or could conceivably ultimately have a sexual/affectional interest in the other and project this interest is or could conceivably ultimately be reciprocated? (Especially in comparison with other informal or slangy greetings, like "salut", "ciao", "hi", etc.?))
    No, Neguentropy, I don't think so. "Coucou" (which is also the sound uttered by the cuckoo bird), is a cute word very much used to greet the small children, or when playing with them. You peep out and you say "Coucou!" It's me! Hello, here I am! Now, you could use "Coucou" when flirting with someone, sending an e-mail or whatever, but this expression will not define the flirting context by itself. You could also use it when colloquially writing/speaking to friends. But :warn:, you will definitely not say "coucou" to your boss, except if you have a affectionate relation with him/her, and then the usage of the word coucou will not be determined by your professional relationship, but by the more intimate quality of your bound. Hope I made it clearer...:)

8. edantes New Member

English trying to go French
    It might me a bit too late to resurrect this topic, bu I recently "discovered" Michel Polnareff.

"Coucou me revoilou" is the title of one his songs (and corresponding album of 1978), during his first attempt at a return from exile. His great song of that period is "Lettre à France".

Anyway, was the expression common usage before Polnareff's song?

9. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    Yes I think Polnareff should get the credit for coining it rather than Johnny.

10. xiancee

xiancee Senior Member

france
    French
    When you relate "coucou" to our french "rock" singer J Halliday, the main reference is the one pointed out by miw, to "les guignols de l'info". There was a joke that went on an on about "une boite a coucou" that came always at a surprise. Link here