Cougar

< Previous | Next >

KalAlbè

American English & Kreyòl Ayisyen
I remember reading a thread on here a while back about guys who like much younger women, which got me thinking about the reverse.

In English we have cougar typically defined as an older woman who is primarily attracted to and might have a sexual relationship with much younger men. :D

How would you describe this type of woman in your language?

• sound shift

English - England
    "Cougar" in the sense that you describe is US and Canadian slang, according to the house dictionary. I don't think it has made deep inroads into BrE. I had not heard of it until well into my membership of this forum. I am not aware of a BrE term for this concept.

In Greek we call her «τεκνατζού» [tek.naˈʣ͜u] (fem.) which is a slang word, coined by attaching the slang word for the young handsome male «τεκνό» [tekˈnɔ] (neut.) --> toyboy, hunk < Classical neut. «τέκνον» téknŏn --> child, young animal (PIE *teḱ- to beget, bear cf Proto-Germanic *þegnaz > OEng. þeg(e)n, boy, youngling, soldier, warrior) + Turkish derivational suffix -ci [-ʤi] that has become extremely productive in MoGr as masc. «-τζης» [-ʣ͜is], fem. «-τζου» [-ʣ͜u] and forms nouns of occupation.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    In Italian we sometimes use the English word "cougar", albeit pronounced the "Italian way": ['ku:gar]. Although this is not widely used, possibly only by younger people.

Our dictionary also suggests: "tardona", which comes from "tardi" (= "late", as in "well up in years") and refers to the woman's age compared to his partner's.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, "cougar" is commonly used nowadays.
    This is a loan from English, as for the animal, we rather say "puma", even if "couguar" does seem to exist as well (but I must say I've never heard or seen it).

Ansku89

Finnish
    In Finnish it's puuma for both the animal and the woman. I don't think there is any originally Finnish expression for the phenomenon.

< Previous | Next >