cough them up in sleep

Shogol

Persian-Iran
"I have called those inexplicable historical objects that suddenly turn up and refuse to be accounted for "fossils".The infinite cough them up in sleep."

how do you rephrase it?

Thank you!

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please tell us where you found these sentences, and provide some context. What is being discussed? Are you sure it doesn't say "coughs them up in its sleep?"

Shogol

Persian-Iran
    Please tell us where you found these sentences, and provide some context. What is being discussed? Are you sure it doesn't say "coughs them up in its sleep?"
    sorry Florentia52 for my delay! you're right!
    the text discusses the historical continuity in Faucault's and Deleuze's picture of history.
    I wonder why it says in sleep?is it an idiom?
    "Why not think of the infinite as a grab-bag of lost and found things, “a marvelous motley, profound and totally meaningful,” because it proceeds through a “host of errors and phantasms”? The ridiculous spectacle of a history composed wholly of accidents has its upside. Following Deleuze, I have called those inexplicable historical objects that suddenly turn up and refuse to be accounted for “fossils.”The infinite coughs them up in its sleep. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->"

Last edited by a moderator:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It's not "in sleep," it's "in its sleep."

She talks in her sleep.
    He used to walk in his sleep.
    The infinite coughs up these things in its sleep.

< Previous | Next >