coughing down

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
What do you call forced coughing by which one sends out all what is settled in the throat or stomach? While doing so, a lot of noise is produced from the throat. Is this also called 'coughing' only?

• nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    You mention stomach - are you referring to vomit coming up during the "cough"?

You might also be referring to "dry retching".

I need more context to help you further.

Loob

English UK
    As regards the sound quality, I've heard of whooping coughs.
    Whooping cough, to me, is a particular disease of childhood: click.

(For reasons I've never understood, the "wh" is pronounced "h". But you knew that already!:D)

Loob

English UK
    But can't it be used to describe the resulting cough as well? :eek:
    Ummm ... I don't think so; at least not in everyday speech. I wouldn't say "I had a whooping cough" or "I was really annoyed by the whooping cough of the man behind me in the theatre".

Pidginboy

India-Local dialect
    Context 1:Our neighbour does this everyday in the morning to ensure that nothing (pleghm) remains in this throat. He pushes fingers into his throat and touchs his uvula. He provokes his uvula to vomit.

Context 2: I too do this once year; I drink salted water and forcibly vomit it.

Loob

English UK
    Neither of those is coughing, Pidginboy:(. For the sound of vomiting, I think NZF's retching is good.

mangoman

British English
    A better word for the forced coughing is "hawking". We say that we "hawk up" the phlegm. "Retching" is involuntary.

"Every morning we are wakened by our neighbour's hawking."
    "Every morning we are wakened by our neighbour hawking up his phlegm."

Last edited:

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    I wouldn't say retching is always involuntary.

You could use the phrase "inducing vomiting by putting his fingers down his throat" in order to clear his throat of phlegm. [Be aware that phlegm is mucus from the respiratory tract - so I'm not sure of the logic of inducing vomiting to clear one's throat].

Or "induce vomiting by drinking salty water".

< Previous | Next >