could be bringing her killing here

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Several people are scouring a building for a presumably female snowman-like creature (and who presumably may kill and eat people). One of them, a doctor, finds a piece of cloth, smells it:
— It's blood. She could be bringing her killing here. She could be injured.
The X-Files, TV series

Explain please the phrase.
Thanks.

• heypresto

English - England
    He's offering two possible explanations for the blood: She could be bringing her victims here to kill them. Or she could be injured.

It's not the most natural of sentences.

Loob

English UK
    Just a thought: could it possibly be "She could be bringing her kill in here"?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    But in this case it would mean some specific 'kill', right?... While the speaker can't know how many people "she" might've killed

Loob

English UK
    No, it would be "kill" meaning an animal or animals* killed (WR Random House dictionaries) or the animal or animals killed in a hunt (WR Collins dictionary). So it wouldn't be specific: the idea would be "she's bringing the bodies of those she's killed in here".

---------

*In this case, of course, the "kill" would be human.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    Bringing the killed prey is a possible interpretation, but I really do think your idea is the right one, Vik - that what "She could be bringing her killing here" means is "She might now now start her killing (her practice of killing) in this area."

Loob

English UK
    It could be "killing", Kate - but if the doctor is smelling blood on a piece of cloth, I don't think the idea can be "She might start bringing..." - she'd have to be doing it already, no?

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    It could be "killing", Kate - but if the doctor is smelling blood on a piece of cloth, I don't think the idea can be "She might start bringing..." - she'd have to be doing it already, no?
    Yes, but they're not sure - all they've found is a bloody piece of cloth. So what he's saying is that this could be a sign that she might have started killing people or animals or whatever it is that she kills "here."

They're worried about some alien/supernatural/monster-like/X-Files-weird-type creature. Surely they'd be more worried about her killing things/people than about what she does with the various corpses.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you, everyone.
    Now, having heard the phrase several times at an extremely low speed, I believe it's kɪlɪŋ rather than kilin. That is -- "killing here":)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Has this creature been suspected in multiple killings already? If so, it makes a lot of sense, as Kate suggested, that it's the practice of killing that is possibly being brought here.

< Previous | Next >