could destroy crops ..., causing a famine."

< Previous | Next >

Japanese and Japan
I’m interested in the last sentence in the followingpassage about plant cloning.

Those who warn about the dangers of plant cloning don't want to ban cloning. Rather, they focus on the dangers posed when cloning is mixed with bioengineering. For example, cloning could decrease resistance to disease and insects. If only a very few food crops are grown, and those are clones, then a single disease or insect could destroy huge amounts of crops, causing a famine.
(from Lesson 8 ‘The Future of Cloning’ in “NewEdition UNICORN ENGLISH COURSE II,”Bun-ei-do, Tokyo, Japan)

To make it clearer in its meaning, I thinkthe last sentence needs “potentially” or something just before the phrase “causing a famine,”

It it were “…then a single disease or insect destroys huge amounts of crops, causing a famine,” then I think it would be OK, but as it is, I think it doesn’t make sense, What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Andygc

British English
    It's perfectly clear as it is. It means "a single disease or insect could destroy huge amounts of crops, thus (or thereby) causing a famine."

< Previous | Next >