Could I please request you to help her remember whenever she forgets (the particular/any) sentence?

< Previous | Next >

flamboyant lad

Hindi
Namaste teachers!

Context: I have to prepare my 3-year-old daughter for her 1st public speaking. I'm writing a letter to her class teacher.

Greetings ma’am!

I’m Karishma’s mother. I came to know through the circular that today, she has to speak a few lines on her favourite toy.

Below are the few sentences that I helped her memorise:

1. Hello everyone!

2. My name is Karishma Dalal.

3. (a)Today, I’m going to speak on… (b)my favourite toy.

4. This is my favourite toy.

5. Its colour is red.

6. Thank you!

Could I please request you to help her remember whenever she forgets (the particular/any) sentence?
What should I use in the preceding sentence "the particular" or "any"?

Thanks!

• lingobingo

English - England
    It would not normally be said that way, so whether to use the particular or any is irrelevant. What you’re asking the teacher to do is to prompt the child if she forgets anything.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    ... whenever she forgets (the particular/any) sentence?

"The particular sentence" can only refer to a particular sentence that you've already mentioned.

The last sentence of the speech is difficult for her. She always forgets that particular sentence.

"Whenever she forgets any sentence" - "whenever" suggests you anticipate a lot of forgetting. "Any sentence" implies a lot of sentences. Your phrasing makes heavy weather of a simple idea.

Please help her if she forgets any of it.

< Previous | Next >