1. monkeypants1121 New Member

English-US
    Le contexte: « La pose du cou était gracieuse, la poitrine large et pleine était faite pour couler à fond les sentiments. »

Ce que j’ai trouvé indique que couler à fond signifie « to sink » ou « sinking » en anglais, mais que c’est aussi « to ruin or discredit someone. »

Que pensez-vous ?

Merci !

2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    The metaphor in "couler-as-to-ruin" is the same - a shipwreck, a total scuttling of crew and boat. In this way, the woman's large and generous breasts were made to drive (male) emotions to disaster.

Also, hi!

3. Borax Anhydre Senior Member

USA
    French
    Sorry but as a french native speaker I am not able to give any sense to the end of this sentence:
    la poitrine large et pleine était faite pour couler à fond les sentiments ????
    Would you please double check the wording or at least give us some more about the intial text/writer???

4. monkeypants1121 New Member

English-US
    Yes -- it's Julien Gracq's Au Chateau d'Argol. The narrator is describing Albert, one of the main characters. I've triple-checked and this is exactly what's written -- and I'm just not getting it! Thanks in advance for any insight.

5. Borax Anhydre Senior Member

USA
    French
    OK, here is my try:
    I would say that the woman was so "hot" that any platonic based sentiment was to fail. In other words in presence of such a woman, there are no rooms for sentiments and "actions" prevail!
    couler à fond then means stop definitely!