count against

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hello everyone, one of the definition of "count" is consider:

1.to consider or regard (dictionary.reference)
2. to consider or be considered as (Cambridge)

So can I say:

I count this against you?

Thanks​

• owlman5

English-US
    You sure can. If you say that, then you are saying: "I have noticed something you have done to annoy or harm me. I resent it and will remember it."

Silver

Well, thanks, I suppose that if I say "count against", it means "that's not good for you." But it seems I am sadly mistaken.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    For this meaning, you could say:
    This will count against you.
    You might say this if you were keeping score or judging a contest and you were going to take points off their score.

You also might say this if you the person had done something that would make you or other people think less of them in the future.

Silver

You also might say this if you the person had done something that would make you or other people think less of them in the future.
    Thanks a lot, Cagey. But I am a bit confused about this one. Would you like explain a little bit?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In a way, this second use of 'count against' is a metaphoric use of the first use: keeping score.

Here is an example adapted from something I found in the internet. It concerns a musician who wrote novels and also was a poet.
    The fact that he was a novelist and musician counted against him as a poet. People didn't take his poetry seriously.
    It is as if they were judging how good a poet he was and they took points off his score because he was a musician and because he wrote novels, instead of just looking at his poetry.

I hope this example helps. I am not sure that it will.

< Previous | Next >