count with your presence

aalvares

European Portuguese
Dear all,

How would you say "we hope that you will come" or "we would like to see you there" but in a more formal way? It is for a brochure/invitation to the opening of an exhibition. I am translating from Portuguese; literally it would be "We hope we can count with your presence" but I guess this doesn't sound very English.

Thank you very much,
Ana

• gasman

Canada, English
    "We hope we can count with your presence"

If you want to stick more or less to that sentence, then I would suggest you remove the "with" and replace it with "on".

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "We hope we can count on your attendance ..." - perhaps, as something close to your suggestion. It still sounds a bit strange. What about:
    "We hope you will be able to attend ..."
    "We hope you will be able to come ..."
    "We hope you will attend ..."

The versions with "... be able to ..." seem a bit more gentle.
    They courteously suggest that if you don't turn up it will be because you were not able to, not because you decided not to bother.

aalvares

European Portuguese
    Thank you.

I really don't need to stick to that literal translation. I wanted something that sounds more English but something more like "we look forward to welcoming you" (but I know this is kind of old). "We hope you will be able to attend " seems like we're almost begging for people to come or very unsure that they will attend, doesn't it?

Thank you again,

Ana

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Thank you.

I really don't need to stick to that literal translation. I wanted something that sounds more English but something more like "we look forward to welcoming you" (but I know this is kind of old).
    Perhaps because I am, myself, kind of old, this version sounds OK to me.
    "We hope you will be able to attend " seems like we're almost begging for people to come or very unsure that they will attend, doesn't it?
    It doesn't say that to me, but listen to others too.
    To me it rather subtly flatters by suggesting that my oh-so-busy schedule may not allow space for this event. It doesn't convey any sense of grovelling submissively and beseeching me to attend please, please, please.