counterfactor

Ricardo Gasca

Español-México
Hello: I am making a traslation from English to Spanish of a health economics text, but I do not what is the meaning of the word "counterfactor" .
The whole parragraph is: "cost is always one of the factors included while its counterfactor varies from benefit, effectiveness and utility".

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Monnik

Mexico - Spanish/English
    Hola, vecino, y bienvenido...

Mira, yo creo que lo que hicieron en el texto en inglés es inventarse una palabra - por decirlo de alguna forma - siguiendo un esquema válido, que es simplemente el de añadir un prefijo (contra) para formar una palabra nueva.

En un caso como éste, creo que puedes salir avante si lo traduces como contrafactor, dado que me imagino recurrieron a la formación del término de la misma forma en inglés... como cuando escuchas la palabra contraparte.

A ver si te dan alguna otra sugerencia

Saludos!!

Paul Wessen

USA English
    Hola, Ricardo...
    I think that counterbalance would have been a better word to use. Counterfactor makes logical sense, but I have the feeling that it is modern corporate-speak.

If the premise of the first part of a statement (or theme, idea, proposal, etc) is well established, one frequently uses upside or downside.

"It's true that speeding will get you to your destination faster, but the downside is the danger of having an accident or of getting arrested."

-------------- Paul

Ricardo Gasca

Español-México
    Thanks a lot Paul

Paul Wessen said:
    Hola, Ricardo...
    I think that counterbalance would have been a better word to use. Counterfactor makes logical sense, but I have the feeling that it is modern corporate-speak.

If the premise of the first part of a statement (or theme, idea, proposal, etc) is well established, one frequently uses upside or downside.

"It's true that speeding will get you to your destination faster, but the downside is the danger of having an accident or of getting arrested."

-------------- Paul