counterpart of an odd sock


Senior Member
Hi everyone,

How would you refer to one half of a pair of socks when looking for said half after it's "gone missing"?

I'm looking for the matching sock?
I'm looking for the sock that goes with this one?

Thanks in advance.
  • KennyHun

    Senior Member
    A slightly different question, I hope it's okay if I post it here. It took me quite a while today to find one half of the pair of slippers I usually wear inside. Could the word mate also be used in this context? "What are you looking for? - For the mate to my slipper."


    Senior Member
    Scotland - Scots and English
    You can use various words: 'mate', 'twin', 'counterpart'. But 'the other one' or 'the other one of the pair' or 'the missing one' are the most idiomatic.
    < Previous | Next >