country 'previously mentioned'

Vina2010

Spanish-Argentina

Hi!

can anybody tell me if this is commonly heard in the States?

He has played his most notable roles in the previously mentioned country.

The text is informal and it is a biography.

Many thanks!

Hugs!

• compaqdrew

English - AE
    The phrase is fine provided that you discussed the country previously (a paragraph back at most). Although it does sound a bit stiff. I don't know the context, but you might try

James grew up in Canada. He has played his most noticeable roles there.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with compaqdrew that the phrase is acceptable, though I would be more likely to say:
    He has played his most notable roles in the country mentioned previously.
    I also agree that I would be unlikely to say it this way. I might prefer it in some context, but I can't think of one.

Vina2010

Spanish-Argentina
    Many thanks!!

The context is a biography and the sentence starts this way:

This respectable actor was born in Spain. He has played his most notable roles in the previously mentioned country, in which he has an extensive career...

Thanks once again!

Hugs! :)

Last edited:

compaqdrew

English - AE
    The construction is correct, but it sounds formal and stiff. It would be helpful to know what comes after "extensive career..."

In general, in English, we keep connected things together in the same sentence, and disconnected things get their own sentence. The first two ideas (he was born in Miami and he played his most notable roles in Miami) are connected by Miami, and so it makes much more sense to me to place these thoughts in the same sentence and to place an unrelated thought in a subsequent sentence (assuming what follows he has an extensive career is unrelated to Miami).

I would say

This respectable actor was born in Miami and has played his most notable roles there. He has an extensive career...

Vina2010

Spanish-Argentina
    Thank you!

The whole phrase is this one:

This respectable actor was born in Spain. He has played his most notable roles in the previously mentioned country in which he has an extensive career in television series as well as in films.

Hugs!

Last edited:

compaqdrew

English - AE
    Actually, now that I look at it... Miami isn't a country. Did you mean Miami-Dade county (a region in Florida)? Or Miami (a city) in Florida?

Edit: Miami, california is unlikely.

So I'm still a little confused.

Last edited:

Vina2010

Spanish-Argentina
    Oh, I am sorry! I got confused. It is not Miami. There is another sentence about Miami. Actually, that sentence about Miami follows. The country is Spain, and then, he travelled to Miami. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Thanks again!

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    This respectable actor was born in Spain. He has played his most notable roles in the previously mentioned country, in which he has an extensive career...
    While not technically incorrect, this does not sound to me like something a native speaker would write. This kind of language is used by lawyers, but not in biographies. As compaqdrew suggested, it would certainly be more idiomatic to write, "He has played his most notable roles there, where he has an extensive career."

It looks to me like someone was doing a literal, word-for-word translation from another language where an equivalent of "previously mentioned" (it might be one word) would be used in this context.

< Previous | Next >