1. ersilver New Member

    USA- English
    The entire phrase is: "Elle donne un coup de volant et fait faire un demi-tour à sa voiture."

    From the context (a high-speed car chase) my attempted translation is: "She gives them the slip and pulls a 180."


  2. silvae Senior Member

    Lyon, France
    France/Aussieland, French and English
    Your translation is fine in its own right, but "donner un coup de volant" literally means "to turn the steering-wheel abruptly/violently", whereas "giving the slip" to me means she manages to throw them off.
    If you use "pulls a 180", the "donne un coup de volant" thing becomes pretty much redundant except to indicate that the turn is abrupt.

    Does that help?
  3. pheelineerie

    pheelineerie Senior Member

    Lawrence, Kansas, USA
    American English
    I think we say "she hauled on the wheel, whipping the car around..."

    "whipping the car around" suggests that she does it very quickly. Otherwise you could say pulling a U-turn or a 180.
  4. wildan1

    wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

    I've never heard pulls a 180 for faire demi-tour--is that a BE expression?

    In AE you would say he makes a U-turn...

    I agree with silvae that you could integrate the two concepts more, since the sense of coup de volant comes with the demi-tour in the English version

    he makes a sharp U-turn/(pulls a sharp 180)...
  5. zazap Senior Member

    Canada, French and English
    How about "to swerve" for "donner un coup de volant"?
  6. wildan1

    wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

    swerve means to make the car move quickly to avoid hitting something. I don't think that would work here.
  7. ersilver New Member

    USA- English
    OK great thanks all. I now see the literal sense of the phrase though I might stick with my original translation as a more idiomatic gloss of the passage.

    Also, I'm pretty sure "to pull a 180/360" is an accepted AE phrase. I can't speak for the British.
  8. ersilver New Member

    USA- English
    Though to clarify, when discussing average driving you would use "make a U-turn." "To pull a 180" is more for stunt driving and the like.
  9. jeaniwanski Member

    USA Polish

    Pour "pull 180" essaye "faire volte-face."

  10. catay Senior Member

    Canada anglais
    in a familiar register...."She cranks on the wheel and pulls a l80."

Share This Page