coupled nothing but tenderness <with/ to> her name

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his adolescence.
He is an apprentice for the lawyer Mr. Spenlow.
He and Mr. Spenlow's only daughter fell in love with each other.
His grand aunt and her distant relative Mr. Dick came to London after her going bankrupt.
On his arriving at his office one Saturday morning, the day before when Mr. Spenlow discovered his daughter's love affair and told the narrator to give her up, he heard that Mr. Spenlow has died last night.

In the trouble of this state of mind - not exclusively my own, I hope, but known to others - I went down to Norwood that night; and finding from one of the servants, when I made my inquiries at the door, that Miss Mills was there, got my aunt to direct a letter to her, which I wrote. I deplored the untimely death of Mr. Spenlow, most sincerely, and shed tears in doing so. I entreated her to tell Dora, if Dora were in a state to hear it, that he had spoken to me with the utmost kindness and consideration; and had coupled nothing but tenderness, not a single or reproachful word, with her name.
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I'd like to know why why it is "with her name," not "to her name."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• morior_invictus

Slovak
    You know what, park? Let's wait for some other opinions. . . Why? Well, there's that thing called a representative sample, not to mention the fact that I've just found lots of examples that use the construction "to couple X to Y." :)

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, minor_invictus, for your message. :)
    I don't think someone would reply to this thread, after there being an answer.

< Previous | Next >