couples "where" the women

w199381

Chinese-Taiwan
Hi all,

Article: The data shows that couples "where" the women performed more than....

Question: Why is the relative pronoun WHERE instead of that? And as far as I'm concerned, "WHERE" go after the antecedent of place but "couples" are not a place but things.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    No -- first of all, the "where" here is a conjunction, not a relative pronoun. Neither "that" nor "who" would work, because what follows is a complete clause. (For example, we don't say *"A man who he is my friend.")

And I don't think it's colloquial, so much as that the author is considering the couple as a case or data point in this sentence rather than as people. This is where conj. II.10.b(a) in the OED: "In a or the case in which (often nearly = when 8); in the circumstances, position, or condition in which; in that respect or particular in which" (underlining added, as that phrase could be substituted for "where" in the example we have here).

Jason_2_toi

English-Scotland
    Yeah you lost me completely there Glen.

When I posted, I was thinking more of, for example,

In cases where ...
    as an alternative to in cases in which

To me, this is a bit similar to saying

An accused person can state their case without fear of....
    As an alternative to his or her case. It's colloquial.

w199381

Chinese-Taiwan
    No -- first of all, the "where" here is a conjunction, not a relative pronoun. Neither "that" nor "who" would work, because what follows is a complete clause. (For example, we don't say *"A man who he is my friend.")

And I don't think it's colloquial, so much as that the author is considering the couple as a case or data point in this sentence rather than as people. This is where conj. II.10.b(a) in the OED: "In a or the case in which (often nearly = when 8); in the circumstances, position, or condition in which; in that respect or particular in which" (underlining added, as that phrase could be substituted for "where" in the example we have here).
    Thanks for your replying and meticulous answer.

w199381

Chinese-Taiwan
    Yeah you lost me completely there Glen.

When I posted, I was thinking more of, for example,

In cases where ...
    as an alternative to in cases in which

To me, this is a bit similar to saying

An accused person can state their case without fear of....
    As an alternative to his or her case. It's colloquial.
    Thank you for providing another way to understand "where"

< Previous | Next >