coupon vs voucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

glinder

italian
Hi everybody,

It is not clear to me the difference between 'coupon' and 'voucher'; to me they have the same meaning. Can anybody explain

thanks a lot

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    A voucher is generally something that means you get something for free.
    A coupon is generally something that means you get a discount.

I have a voucher for a free pizza.
    I have a coupon for £3 off any theme-park ticket.

If the context states it, they can be mixed around, "a coupon for a free...", "a voucher that means £3 off...", but without context, I'd assume what I wrote above, I just wanted to tell you it's not a 100% rule, otherwise you'll be confused if you hear them used in a different way.

danalto

Italy - Italian
    Un voucher è la ricevuta di qualcosa che hai già pagato: vado all'estero, pago delle escursioni e quando sono sul posto consegno il voucher alla guida senza dovermi preoccupare di pagare.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Un voucher è la ricevuta di qualcosa che hai già pagato: vado all'estero, pago delle escursioni e quando sono sul posto consegno il voucher alla guida senza dovermi preoccupare di pagare.

That sounds like a ticket to me :) (though voucher is used in that sense as well)
    Generally, I would say it's something that you don't usually pay for (yourself),
    like at christmas we do buy vouchers by spending the same amount of money so the reciever can go and spend that amount in a certain shop.

I.e. if you buy 3 TV's we will give you a voucher for £50 to spend on the high street..

If I wanted to do something, and paid money, and got confirmation, I wouldn't call that a voucher, but a ticket, if I bought one for someone else, like at Christmas, Easter etc, I'd call it a voucher.

Didn't realise it was this complicated.

Last edited:

glinder

italian
    Thanks to everybody for yours reply, I thought the difference is that a coupon is issued for free,(the company that issue that do not get money in return, for advertising reason for examle) the voucher is paid by someone ( the beneficiary itself in a previous time, or someone else)

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Thanks to everybody for yours reply, I thought the difference is that a coupon is issued for free,(the company that issue that do not get money in return, for advertising reason for examle) the voucher is paid by someone ( the beneficiary itself in a previous time, or someone else)

That's the gist of it! :)

bert_rent

Spanish
    Hi, everybody. I read everybody's comments and I want to give my two cents.
    I must agree with both the English speakers as well the Italian lady.
    In English a voucher has several means and differs from its Italian meaning. Although the word derives from English, the Italian tourism industry has given to it a different meaning. That also happens with many words derived from Latin. In one language a certain word might mean one thing, and in the next language something very different. So, the meaning of cross-cultural words should be understood according to the language in which it's being used and its context.
    I speak six languages and I’ve had to adjust in my mind the meaning of the same word to agree with how people use it and understand it in each language. I guess what I am trying to say is that there are no absolutes.

SamAlchemist

British English
    I came here to try to resolve the same question in my mind, but I found it interesting that I am (so far) the only native British English speaker here.

Like the original poser of the question, I suspect that the two terms are used pretty well interchangeably here in the UK, but I like the definition given by Alxmrphi.

I should come here more often.

Status
    Not open for further replies.