[coupons] sometimes that you can pick up at < a / the >store.

Japanese and Japan
I’m transcribing a radio program in English. Here is part of a passage that the narrator, an American woman, said, and I could not catch the blank part in the passage.
It's[A “discount coupon” is] just a slip of paper…, and you can have coupons for free gifts and all kinds of other purposes. However, the ones she is talking about are ones usually you can cut from the newspaper or from flyers that are put in the newspaper or sometimes that you can pick up at ( ) store.
Which do you think the narrator said in the blank above?
1. a
2. the

I think it is #2, becasue the place (=store) is "the" store that you are to get a flyer whose coupon you would like to use for "the" store. But I’m not sure if I am correct.

Could you make a guess for me, please?

• Copyright

American English
    I would say "pick up at the store" in this case, even when I'm talking about a store or any store. It's descriptive of the location where you can find the coupons.

It's like an ad: The next time you're at the store, pick up a bag of Kitty Treats. (Any store that has Kitty Treats -- salmon-flavor.)

e2efour

UK English
    I would guess a, since I don't think it is a particular store. But people also sometimes use "the" when they mean any store.
    For example, "You will be able to get this if you go to the supermarket." This means any supermarket and you could equally well write "a supermarket".

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I too think it could be either a or the.

If you can have a couple of other people listen to it to see if anyone can tell, go with what they hear. If not, use either one. Either could be correct, and no one is going to be able to say that you got it wrong.

< Previous | Next >