Courage test

< Previous | Next >

olive6

Hungarian, Hungary
Hi,

I wonder if the expression "courage test" is the best one to use for a situation where you're tested whether you're brave enough. Once I was in a forest with a guide after dark. The guide left us and went a few metres ahead until we couldn't see her anymore. Then we had to follow her one by one without knowing the right path to go or having anything that could light the way (no lamps or mobile phones). It was extremely scary. Was it a "courage test" or is there a better word for it?

• Elwintee

England English
    Colloquially, in AE, the phrase "gut check" is used.
    From M-W:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gut+check

I would say that you could call an activity a test of courage or of bravery if "gut check" doesn't fit.

If someone goes through a difficult and especially life-changing experience, the phrase "rite of passage" could be used.
    I am not a military expert, but in the UK we understate things and I don't think the British Army would refer to guts or courage in connection with such a test. We are more likely to emphasise professional competence or leadership. The Sandhurst aerial assault course (a terrifying ordeal involving movement 40 feet up with no 'safety net') was, and may still be, referred to as the 'confidence course'.

< Previous | Next >