course au galop, au trot

Tocharia

English
Not being a follower of the turf, I am puzzled by these two phrases. The context is specific. It refers to races held in the Circus Maximus in Ancient Rome. "Les courses au galop alternaient avec les courses au trot, de deux, trois ou quatre chevaux". This, based solely on my knowledge of Roman games, I have translated as "Horse races alternated with chariot races with two, three or four teams of horses". But it is a guess. (I've added the "teams of" because that's what we'd say in English). Many thanks, Hugh

• Tocharia

English
    Thanks, everbody, for all your help. I think I got this one badly wrong - just got carried away with all those chariots! I've never heard of trott races - but they do exist. So, my new version, dumping the "teams" : "Gallop alternated with trott races, involving two, three or four horses", which makes better sense. I need to use the term "races", Micia93, as this is the first mention of races in the paragraph.

Omelette

UK English
    'trotting' sounds rather more natural to me than 'trot' (races). It's quite a commonly used term in contemporary racing (including lots of racing in France).
    (trott - which is maybe just a typo, but you've written it twice - is not an option :))

Tocharia

English
    Thanks, Omelette. As I said I am not familiar with the terminology of the race track. And "trott" was indeed an error. Would you be happy with "Gallop alternated with trotting races..."?

< Previous | Next >