cousin removed

french4beth

US-English
Just to clarify: I can never remember what "first cousin once removed" and "second cousin". What do I call my cousin's son? Or how would I describe my cousin's cousin?

• gdireland

English / Ireland
    second cousin is your first cousin's child

This might be helpful!! :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_cousin_once_removed#Cousin_Chart.2C_or_Table_of_Consanguinity

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I can't explain cousin's cousin without more information.
    I am my cousin's cousin.
    My brother is my cousin's cousin.
    Some of my cousins are my cousins' cousins.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    I have always considered the 'once removed' to refer to marriage.
    I thought that my first cousin once removed is married to my first cousin.
    I am probably totally wrong.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    I think that;
    My parent's cousin is my second cousin.
    My parent's cousin's baby is my third cousin.
    Logic and a review of Panj's posts convince me that I am wrong.
    I can now see that my first cousin's cousin is my second cousin and that my cousin's baby or parent is my cousin once removed.

JamesM

Logic and a review of Panj's posts convince me that I am wrong.
    I can now see that my first cousin's cousin is my second cousin and that my cousin's baby or parent is my cousin once removed.

Actually, your first cousin's parent is some form of uncle or aunt, no matter how many times removed. Well, that's not quite right either. :) This is a confusing thing, isn't it?

Your first cousin's parent is either a first cousin, removed to some degree, or an uncle or aunt (great, great-great, etc.)

What helps me is to think that the only people I call first cousins must be the offspring of some person I would call uncle or aunt (with however many "greats" in front of it). If there's a "great" in front, only their children are first cousins. In the case of my immediate uncles and aunts, anyone descending from them is my first cousin of some kind. I got this much straightened out, at least, at a family reunion a few years back.

< Previous | Next >