Cover the conscientious objectors

< Previous | Next >

teresio

Italian
Don't go covering your privates when a stranger strides toward you on a beach; cover the conscientious objectors. What's the meaning of conscientious objectors in this case? Thank you!

• teresio

Italian
    Red with weeping and green with envy, your eyes turn and return, searching through a crust of sleep, a coat of eye-shadow. No wonder the paste tense of the Greek to see in the present tense of the Greek to know. It isn't the weather that melts the snowman; it's the two coals in his eyes, make his eyes water. So don't go covering your privates when a stranger strides toward you on a beach; cover the conscientious objectors, Don't reach for a bikini-bottom, reach for a blindfold.

teresio

Italian
    Without more context, it is very obscure. Where did you find it?
    on the novel Muesli at Midnight: Red with weeping and green with envy, your eyes turn and return, searching through a crust of sleep, a coat of eye-shadow. No wonder the paste tense of the Greek to see in the present tense of the Greek to know. It isn't the weather that melts the snowman; it's the two coals in his eyes, make his eyes water. So don't go covering your privates when a stranger strides toward you on a beach; cover the conscientious objectors, Don't reach for a bikini-bottom, reach for a blindfold.

suzi br

English / England
    I think she’s saying cover your eyes because that’s what reach for a blindfold tells us.

I guess she’s aiming for humour of some sort. Do you know that conscientious objectors in the normal sense means people who will not go to war because of their principles.
    It is hard to fit that meaning to this ramble about “eyes”.
    Frankly, I don’t get it.
    Maybe someone else will.

teresio

Italian
    I think she’s saying cover your eyes because that’s what reach for a blindfold tells us.

I guess she’s aiming for humour of some sort. Do you know that conscientious objectors in the normal sense means people who will not go to war because of their principles.
    It is hard to fit that meaning to this ramble about “eyes”.
    Frankly, I don’t get it.
    Maybe someone else will.
    Thank you very much. Yes, I know the "normal" meaning of conscientious objectors. Her it's certainly a metaphor, as you correctly say. Maybe the eyes, as you say

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Perhaps it's suggesting that you cover the eyes of the person who might object to seeing your nakedness.

privates also has the "private soldiers" meaning, which might be contrasted here with "conscientious objectors". It's difficult to follow the train of thought, if there is one.

teresio

Italian
    Perhaps it's suggesting that you cover the eyes of the person who might object to seeing your nakedness.

privates also has the "private soldiers" meaning, which might be contrasted here with "conscientious objectors". It's difficult to follow the train of thought, if there is one.
    Thank you

se16teddy

English - England
    Your author seems Joycean. Joycean - Wikipedia
    More than anything, however, Joycean has come to denote a form of extreme verbal inventiveness which tends to push the English language towards multi-lingual polysemy or impenetrability.
    I find James Joyce much easier to listen to than to read. If you listen to someone reading, you don’t get too hung up on the detail: you just enjoy the invention, and the characters, whose eccentricities are reflected in the language.

Last edited:

teresio

Italian
    Your author seems Joycean. Joycean - Wikipedia
    More than anything, however, Joycean has come to denote a form of extreme verbal inventiveness which tends to push the English language towards multi-lingual polysemy or impenetrability.
    I find James Joyce much easier to listen to than to read. If you listen to someone reading, you don’t get too hung up on the detail: you just enjoy the invention, and the characters, whose eccentricities are reflected in the language.
    i see eye to eye with you

Near.Y

Mandarin
    Thank you everyone for answering my question! I did read all the responses one by one really carefully. Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it!

< Previous | Next >