cover

Hela

Tunisia - French
Good evening,

I'd like to know if we can replace the word "pretext" by "cover" in the following context:

"He gave this reason as a mere pretext (= cover, excuse, pretence ?) not to do his homework."

"The apparent subject of the quarrel was a mere pretext (= cover ?)"

Many thanks,
Hela

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Well, it would be understood, I think, but the two words are only partially synonymous. To use something as a "cover" means to hide behind it ie:

"He used his day job as a cover for his spying activities"

He did not really use his day job as a "pretext" for his spying activities.

The phrase "mere pretext" is such a standard one that the use of "mere cover" sounds odd.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    "He gave this reason as a mere pretext (= cover, excuse, pretence ?) not to do for not doing his homework."

I could use pretext or excuse here. I wouldn't say cover or pretence.

Hela

Tunisia - French
    Hello, Thomas

Would you please tell me why you would not use "cover" in "He gave this reason as a mere pretext / excuse for not doing his homework" but would use it in "He started the quarrel as a cover". I still don't understand when and how it should be used.

Best regards

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello, Thomas

Would you please tell me why you would not use "cover" in "He gave this reason as a mere pretext / excuse for not doing his homework" but would use it in "He started the quarrel as a cover". I still don't understand when and how it should be used.

Best regards
    You do X as a cover for Y, if you wish to distract the attention of people from the fact that Y is happening.

You might let off a bomb in one part of town as a cover for a robbery you are committing in another.

A reason given isn't naturally a cover, though it can easily be an excuse or a pretext. It doesn't distract, it tries to explain or give a motive.

To act under false pretences is to misrepresent facts in a case. If you sold a stamp to someone as genuine, knowing it to be a fake, you would be acting under false pretences.

< Previous | Next >