covered at the back by a wide tripartite ponytail

< Previous | Next >

Angela Thomas

English -- USA
Hello!
DOC: 1907 Museum catalog of ancient Egyptian mirrors in French (I am not seeking a translation!). Catalog entry.
CONTEXT: 44044. Bronze mirror -- [Pl XI] Wig (of the type in Fig. 5) with two large lappets falling to just above the breasts and covered at the back by a wide tripartite ponytail which hangs from the top of the head.
QUERY: Any ideas of how to describe as to what is actually seen in these pictures.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Attachments

• Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Hello Angela!

How about:
    "....and covered at the back by three wide plaits/braids [of hair] which hang from the top of the head."

Itisi

English UK/French
    < French removed. Cagey, moderator. >

The wig is not covered by the 'catogan'; the 'catogan' is a part of the wig!

DIfficult to find a translation for '< the French word > that makes sense! So how about: formed behind into a (I don't know what is best here).

Last edited by a moderator:

Angela Thomas

English -- USA
    Thank you both -- this plait seems to bear some resemblance to the "French braid" which would have been familiar to Englishman writing in 1907: The phrase has been around since 1871 but the hairstyle has been used for thousands of years. The "French braid" includes three sections of hair that are braided together from the crown of the head to the nape of the neck. This contrasts with the simplest form of braid which is gathered together near the scalp. THIS INFO IS FROM: French braid - Wikipedia
    This seems to be another name for the "Cadogan Braid", which seems to have some relationship to the French word "catogan", which has something to do with some English earl's do. It's all very convoluted!
    But I'll keep it simple and just make use of "form" and "braids" and "crown" in my revised description.

< Previous | Next >