covered ride on a refugee tractor

ebrahim

Persian
I couldn't get the point of this part. Is the ambassador adding some sort of funny experience to the rest of his serious experiences in that country? Is he saying that he rode a tractor anonymously?
I'll appreciate your assistance.

"Any time the United States needed to speak to the Croatian public, my PAOs used their contacts and expertise to arrange the most effective
way for me to communicate: an exclusive interview with an opposition newspaper, a guest appearance on state-run television, a speech at a university, or an extensively covered ride on a refugee tractor."

Front Line Public Diplomacy

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No. He rode on a refugee tractor but that was widely publicised:

or an extensively covered ride on a refugee tractor." = or a ride, which was widely reported by the media, on a refugee tractor."

ebrahim

Persian
    Thanks Paul. Still I can't get the whole meaning and why she rode on a tractor and what kind of tractor a refugee tractor is. Would you please explain?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In 1995, during the war in the Balkans, the inhabitants of various villages in the Krajina region in particular, and other areas in general, fled from their homes in the face of hostile forces. In areas that were mainly agricultural, the refugees would take a tractor pulling a large trailer, get on the trailer and head for safety. This is was a common occurence and hence the phrase "refugee tractor" was used.

She rode on a tractor for publicity reasons - her assistants knew that the newspapers, radio and TV would like a story like that and that thus her message (what ever the US government had told her to say) reached a lot of people.

< Previous | Next >