COVID-19

< Previous | Next >

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
Hi, everybody,

How do you say (and pronounce) COVID-19 in your language? In English, for instance, I've heard "KO[rhymes with 'so', 'though', 'sew']-vid 19, "KAW-vid 19", and KUH-vid 19 (I say it with the first pronunciation).

• nimak

Macedonian
    Macedonian:

КОВИД-19 (KOVID-19) ['kɔ.vid dɛ.vɛt'na.ɛsɛt]

коронавирус (koronavirus) [kɔrɔna'virus] m.
    корона (korona) [kɔ'rɔna] f.

Greek:

Covid-19 = [kɔˈvid ðe.ka.eˈɲa] (kaw-VID)

Coronavirus = «Κορωνοϊός» [kɔ.ɾɔ.nɔ.iˈɔs] (masc.) < MoGr fem «κορώνα» [kɔˈɾɔ.na] --> crown < Classical fem. «κορώνη» kŏrṓnē + MoGr masc. «ιός» [iˈɔs] --> virus < Classical masc. «ἰός» ĭós --> arrow, poison, venom, (since late 19th c.) agent that causes infectious disease (PIE *ui̯s-ó-s- poison, venom cf Skt. विष (viṣá), Lat. vīrus).

Last edited:

Nizo

Esperanto: KOVIM-19 or Kovim-19 ['ko.vim dek nau̯]

Esperanto speakers and writers are currently using three different variants for the word "coronavirus": kronviruso, koronviruso, and koronaviruso. All of these appear in Wikipedia articles and other original and translated news reports and descriptions of the virus and the current pandemic. The Akademio de Esperanto reviewed the issue and decided not to rule in favor of any of these, but to leave it up to users.

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Welsh

coronafeirws
    /ko.ro.na.'vei.rus/

The form Cofid-19 is facetious (we don't have a <v> in the alphabet, however), and has been used as a pun for someone from (or speaking the dialect of) Caernarfon (i.e. Cofi /'ko.vi/)

Dymn

Catalan: I think any of /ˈkɔβ̞it/, /koˈβ̞it/, less likely /kuˈβ̞it/. And for coronavirus /kuɾonəˈβ̞iɾus/ or /koɾonəˈβ̞iɾus/.

Spanish: probably any of /ˈkoβ̞ið̞/, /koˈβ̞ið̞/, /ˈkoβ̞iθ/ or /koˈβ̞iθ/. Coronavirus is /koɾonaˈβ̞iɾus/.

Awwal12

Russian
    Russian:
    ковид-19 (kovíd-devyatnádtsat') ~[kɐ'vʲid dʲɪvʲɪt'naʦətʲ]
    ковид (kovíd) ~[kɐ'vʲit]
    коронавирус (koronavírus) ~[kəɾənɐ'vʲiɾʊs]
    coll. корона (koróna, lit. "crown") ~[kɐ'ɾɔnə]

Last edited:

Jennifer Weiss

Icelandic / Swedish
    Russian:
    ковид-19 (kovíd-devyatnádtsat') ~[kɐ'vʲid dʲɪvʲɪt'naʦətʲ]
    ковид (kovíd) ~[kɐ'vʲid]
    коронавирус (koronavírus) ~[kəɾənɐ'vʲiɾʊs]
    coll. корона (koróna, lit. "crown") ~[kɐ'ɾɔnə]
    Do you think it is possible to stress the first syllable in "ковид"?

< Previous | Next >