CPM is commonly <used with> all forms of projects

park sang joon

Korean
CPM is commonly used with all forms of projects, including construction, aerospace and defense, software development, research projects, product development, engineering, and plant maintenance, among others. Any project with interdependent activities can apply this method of mathematical analysis. Although the original CPM program and approach is no longer used,[6] the term is generally applied to any approach used to analyze a project network logic diagram.
<"Critical path method" in WIKIPEDIA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_path_method>
I'd like to know why "with" follows "used," not "in."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Strictly speaking project management tools are not used "in" projects - they are used "with" or "for" projects. Use of the tool is not a requirement or goal of the project.

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, Glasguensis, for your kind answer. :)
    I see you meant CPM is a method of the project, not a requirement or goal and "with" is the most appropriate preposition.
    But I was wondering why I can't use "in" for method of something.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    CPM is commonly used with all forms of projects = CPM is commonly used [in conjunction] with all forms of projects
    CPM is commonly used in all forms of projects = CPM is commonly used within all forms of projects

< Previous | Next >