crème fleurette

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Brioche, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    MODERATOR NOTE: Two threads on the same topic are merged here.
    NOTE DE LA MODÉRATION : Deux fils au même thème sont fusionnés ici.
    -----

A couple of questions about cooking.

How would you translate: Crème fleurette
    What percentage fat is it?

Montez la crème fleurette en chantilly.
    Would this simply be "Whip the cream"?,
    or would it necessarily mean add some sugar and vanilla?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
  2. Marie-Christine Senior Member

Ireland
    French/France
    la crême fleurette is simply cream as opposed to sour cream or crême fraîche or double cream

3. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    "ordinary" cream in Australia is 35% fat.
    Can I use it in a French recipe which asks for "Crème fleurette"?

4. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    Both my Larousse dictionary and the granddictionnaire suggest that crème fleurette has about 11% fat, which is less that I'd thought. The GDT translates it as half and half. (What would that correspond to in BE?).

One of my Larousse cook books suggests it's an unregulated word generally meaning crème fraîche liquide, as opposed to crème fraîche épaisse I suppose (as Marie-Christine says), which is similar to sour cream. The cartons that I've bought haven't specified the fat content, which is rather frustrating.

5. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    Cream which is less than 30% won't whip.
    So if you want a chantilly, it must be at least 30%.

6. denis-a-paris

denis-a-paris Senior Member

Paris, France
    English - USA
    There definitely seems to be some confusion with "crème fleurette".

In the stores (supermarchés) in Paris I seem to generally see "crème entière", "crème léger", or "crème fraîche". My Larousse says that "crème fleurette" is low-fat crème but the ATILF says:
    . This sounds like "crème fraîche" as it's been set out for some time (12 hours in a bowl).

Also does "Montez la crème fleurette en chantilly" mean "whip the cream"? My (anglophonic) ear says yes.

If so, then as Brioche has mentioned, it has to be a full/double/heavy cream no?

Thanks!

7. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Here is what I got:

Source

I also found the site of a very famous trademark that states that their crème fleurette (the most commonly found in France) has 20 p.cent fat.

Source

I think we can reasonably decide that crème fleurette is the rough equivalent of whipping cream.

8. Nicosito Senior Member

French and UK English, ferpectly bilingual
    Looks, to me, from the descriptions as a light cream, and this proz thread that it might be "single cream", as opposed to the thicker, "double cream", as described in UK English.

Nico.

9. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

AE and BE seem to differ on this area.

In North America you will find (less to more fat content): half-and-half, light (coffee) cream, whipping cream and heavy cream. The latter two can be used to make whipped cream.

Also sour cream, thickened with enzymes but not as rich as crème fraîche.

In gourmet shops you can find the French style crème fraîche and British clotted cream. We use the original names for those with no adaptation.

10. samoht21 Member

English
    I live in California and one thing that I noticed about whipping cream, crème fleurette, is that it's usually sold with stabilizers in it, and it has a slightly sweetened flavor, which the heavy cream does not have. I'm guessing that fleurette is a general term which indicates that it is good for the purpose of whipping. I imagine that the product does change a bit from region to region.

the clotted cream is crème grumeleuse I believe. But that's not a product that you find out here outside of British specialty stores.

11. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    I just went and had a look at my bottle of crème fleurette in the fridge and discovered that it is in fact a mixture of
    - crème (doesn't say what the percentage of fat is, although the bigger print boasts it has "cinq fois moins de matières grasses que l'huile")
    - lait
    - émulsifiants:(
    - épaississants.:(

I am very disappointed even though it is very easy to whip; I always thought it was an honest-to-jaysus ;) mixture of single cream and milk, which is what I had always been told it was.

Ça m'apprendra à toujours avoir ma loupe dans mon sac quand je fais mes courses.:rolleyes:

12. greygoose Senior Member

England, English
    OK, I know this has been discussed before, but I'm translating a recipe and need to clarify what crème fraîche fleurette is in English. Getting this wrong could be disastrous!

I think us Anglophones get confused between crème fraîche (literally, fresh cream, equivalent to single cream) and the crème fraîche we use (the thicker, slightly sour version).

The recipe describes it as "liquid" later on, and it's an asparagus and Parmesan flan. Would I be right in thinking that, in this case, it simply means fresh single cream?

Many thanks,
    GG

13. Bordelais Senior Member

Bordeaux
    English - British
    You can translate "crème (fraîche) fleurette" as single cream (British English). As you say, not to be confused with "crème fraîche" which is thicker and soured with lactic acid bacteria.

14. djmc Senior Member

France
    English - United Kingdom
    Crème fleurette will whip, single cream will not. In England there is single cream (will not whip), whipping cream (will whip), double cream (will whip) rather higher fat content than whipping cream. None of these are cultured in the way that crème fraîche is, and do not normally contain stabilisers. Since the normal use of crème fleurette is to whip it and make crème chantilly, it is better to use whipping cream or double cream as a substitute. If you are using cream for cooking a savoury recipe, the difference in result is trivial, I always use crème fraîche.

15. Bordelais Senior Member

Bordeaux
    English - British
    Yes, on reflection I have to agree with your suggestion of whipping cream. For example: the French Crème Fraîche Fleurette has 33% fat content and in the UK Whipping Cream has about the same. Single cream has only about 18% fat. Whipping cream has the further advantage that it also works in American English.