Crack

< Previous | Next >

shannenms

Persian
An excerpt from My Life:

Senator Fulbright's speechwriter Seth Tillman once cracked that Carl Hayden was "the only 99 year-old man in the world.........."
Though I knew some meanings of the "crack", I looked it up, but I found no definition suitable to this sentence.

Could you please tell what it means here.

Thanks.

• FCDB

France French
    Hi,

I think it means that he was not supposed to say something like that and he finally let it go. "He broke up and say that Carl ... " is probably similar.

JamesM

Hi,

I think it means that he was not supposed to say something like that and he finally let it go. "He broke up and say that Carl ... " is probably similar.
    That's a different meaning of "crack", as in "he cracked under interrogation."

As bibliolept said, this use corresponds to definition 8 of the verb "crack" in the WRF dictionary:

8 crack
    tell spontaneously; "crack a joke"

There are twenty three different definitions of crack in the WRF dictionary. It's a very versatile word in English.

JamesM

Thank you all!
    In this regard, Can I say: Are you cracking on me?
    No, we don't say someone is cracking "on" someone.

You could say, "Are making a crack about me?" or "Are you making a crack at my expense?"

It's not the most common way to say it, but I imagine you want to know how to use "crack" in this particular question.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    It sounds to me like hip-hop slang, but apparently "someone cracking on someone," (e.g. "are you cracking on me"), meaning to criticize or insult someone is not unheard. I wouldn't use it; USA teenagers might.

< Previous | Next >