cracked black rubber horn

VadimR

Russian
The Dreamcatcher. S.King.
"He blew the old horn that was lying on the floor, pumping its cracked black rubber horn and making an oogah-oogah sound."

Wouldn't it be more correct to say rubber bulb instead of rubber horn in this sentence? Or am I wrong?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Wouldn't it be more correct to say rubber bulb instead of rubber horn in this sentence?- Yes.

Packard

USA, English
    This is properly called a "rubber bulb horn" but as kids we called it simply "a horn" or a "rubber horn" or a "squeeze horn". As the rubber ages it becomes brittle and cracks.

VadimR

Russian
    Thank you Packard! =) But the question was if there is a mistake in "pumping its cracked black rubber horn"? I guess it should be "pumping its cracked black rubber BULB" instead, shouldn't it?

Packard

USA, English
    It is not as accurate as it could be, but sounds vernacular to me.

Take this example:

"Shine that flashlight over here.'"

It is more accurate to say, "Shine the light from that flashlight over here", but I would expect to hear the first example far more often than the second one.

VadimR

Russian
    Yes, Packard. But there is "its" i.e. horn's, that according to the sentence means like "horn's horn", that's seems at least tautology to me . Or am I wrong?

Packard

USA, English
    Yes, Packard. But there is "its" i.e. horn's, that according to the sentence means like "horn's horn", that's seems at least tautology to me . Or am I wrong?

"He blew the old horn that was lying on the floor, pumping its cracked black rubber horn and making an oogah-oogah sound."

How is that different than, "Pressing the switch on the old flashlight, he shone the flashlight on the dog in the corner."

Or "Pumping its cracked black rubber horn and making an oogah-oogah sound, he blew the the old horn that was lying on the floor"?

Also, not about the language of the horn but about the imprecise "lying on the floor".

It is not clear from the sentence if it was a conventional bulb horn that was loose on the floor or an installed horn on the floor of an antique car for foot operation:

Last edited:

VadimR

Russian
    He shone the flashlight (how?) by pressing the switch.
    He blew the old horn (how?) by pumping its cracked black rubber horn.
    Isnt there a mistake in the last one?

< Previous | Next >