Crank dat

< Previous | Next >

asm

Mexico, Spanish
Acabo de conocer una canción que al parecer es muy famosa entre los jóvenes. El título contiene la expresión "crank dat"; alguien podría ayudarme a traducir o a entender el significado de la expresión?

Busqué en urban dictionary y lo que dicen es confuso, incluso mencionan que es una forma de referirse a la masturbación, pero no sé si eso fue "antes" o "después", incluso si es común el uso de esa acepción.

• Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    Hola Asm: es algo difícil ¿verdad?

Lo único que se me ocurre es que "dat" significa "that": "watch me crank that soldier boy". En cuanto a crank ... hmmm ... no sabría decirte con certeza :))

grubble

British English
    The rap culture practically has its own language. I think chicanul is probably right except that I think it means turn up the volume on the the microphone being used by the rap artist.

To learn this kind of stuff you would have to spend a lot of time hanging out with rap fans or go to their websites.

I don't think you will get much information on this forum because here we deal mostly with standard English.

seaturtles

US English
    Yeah, grubble's right. The truth is that most native English speakers probably couldn't "translate" that song into normal English. Honestly, a lot of us listen to those songs without really having any idea what they're talking about. Anyway, I would say that, depending on the context, "crank dat" probably refers to some strange sexual act (although I couldn't tell you exactly what).

asm

Mexico, Spanish
    These are the lyrics.
    This is how it's defined by Urban Dictionary
    This is the website I talk about in my question; the origin of this question is that I found a video on youtube with a grammar lesson (go verbs), as a parody of the original song. I want to use the video with my students, but I don't know if the meaning of "crank dat", which is the only part of the lyrics that is kept, has a negative meaning. The video says something like "crank dat HAGO" or something similar.
    My concern is to know if I am safe, none my students come from a low-income family.

Thank you

Moritzchen

Spanish, USA
    The video says something like "crank dat HAGO" or something similar.
    My concern is to know if I am safe, none my students come from a low-income family.

Thank you
    Would it make any difference if they did?

I just saw the video you´re talking about in YouTube.
    I don´t get it. You´re going to use bad English grammar to teach Spanish grammar?

Last edited:

asm

Mexico, Spanish
    Would it make any difference if they did?

I just saw the video you´re talking about in YouTube.
    I don´t get it. You´re going to use bad English grammar to teach Spanish grammar?

No, I am using a video with popular music to teach some grammar; I am asking if the music/video has something wrong.
    The song is VERY popular, the expression is not common, and I don't know if most people will connect that song with a very bad connotation.

The people who did the video are using it already to teach Spanish.

It's common to have "rap" songs to teach not only Spanish but many different subjects.

Is crank dat a really bad word? Is the bad connotation known by most people?

Andoush

Spanish (Argentina)
    Even if most people didn't know about the "bad connotation" to start with, wouldn't they be curious to find out the meaning in the song, sooner or later? And then what?

asm

Mexico, Spanish
    Even if most people didn't know about the "bad connotation" to start with, wouldn't they be curious to find out the meaning in the song, sooner or later? And then what?
    Thank you for your help, I tested this song with a "real" student, it looks a very mild issue here; I found out that urban dictionary is like a wiki where you can put anything (literally). Thank you anyway.

< Previous | Next >