crank power

< Previous | Next >

arabot

Spanish-Argentina
Hola,
Estoy traduciendo un programa de carreras autos y uno de los ítems es "Crank Power" (También menciona engine power, drag loss, etc). Sé que crank es cigüeñal, pero me gustaría que alguien que sepa de autos me confirme si es "potencia del cigüeñal".
Gracias!!

• sdgraham

USA English
    "Cranking" is an American idiom meaning to turn the engine over in order to start it.

The term comes from the early days of automobiles when one had to manually insert a crank (¿cigueñal?) into the front of the engine and turn it by hand.

Nowadays, the car's battery energizes the starter, which turns the engine over. This requires a lot of electricity and automotive batteries often are rated for 'cranking power."

Espero que te ayuda

arabot

Spanish-Argentina
    Thank you, sdgraham!
    Your explanation was really helpful!! I will translate it as "Potencia de arranque" unless someone advises against it... :)

SydLexia

UK English
    I have a suspicion it is 'power at the crankshaft/flywheel'. This is the actual power developed by the engine before any is lost in gearboxes, drive shafts, etc.

syd

Syd is correct.

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, alternator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components such as power steering pump, muffled exhaust system, etc.

Brake (net) or crank (crankshaft) horsepower is power delivered directly to and measured at the engine's crankshaft

< Previous | Next >