crank up the AC in the car beforehand to wake up the girls

aaronsun666

Mandarin
The Big Bang Theory Season 08 Episode 07

Amy: I just don’t think a professional woman should have to flaunt her sexuality in order to get ahead.
Penny: Okay, what’s the big deal? Look, if it helps me make a sale with a physician, I don’t think it hurts to flirt a little. I mean, laugh at their joke, touch their arm, maybe crank up the AC in the car beforehand, you know, to wake up the girls.

What does it mean? How does it support Penny's view?

• owlman5

English-US
    "To wake up the girls" should mean "to cause my nipples to harden".

Penny is talking about using various methods to make a sale. She doesn't see anything wrong with cranking up the AC and making her nipples hard if it helps her make the sale. The doctor may be fascinated by the way her breasts look underneath her shirt. If he's aroused, he may be willing to buy something from her.

Women sometimes use "the girls" to refer to their breasts.

ewie

English English
    Ahem, oh dear, this is going to be embarrassing, Aaron. EDIT: Cross-posted ~ luckily Mr O beat me to it:D

When I first read AC I'd understood it as "alternating current":) which made me flounder over "the car" being the old crank-up kinds from the 1900's...:confused: :D so of course I didn't understand anything at all until I got deeper into the thread responses.

ewie

English English
    Have I completely imagined it or do some Americanladypersons sometimes refer to their breasts as puppies?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Some sorts of women in some places, especially I suggest in the USA, refer to their breasts as 'the girls'. Some even use that baffling American word 'puppies'. Other sorts of women in other places would say this is simply vulgar or, to be kinder, silly-cutesie and would never dream of referring to their breasts as 'the girls'.

This remark of Penny's reflects the extremely confused current socio-sexual situation, especially in the USA, dare I say, which has historically been breast obsessed, or so I have read.

Penny's remark would have been scandalous anywhere not so long ago. Much of modern humour is based on mentioning the formerly unmentionable. People have to work out what is actually being referred to in a round about way and then they laugh, not because it's truly funny, but from embarrasment. They laugh even if they have no idea what it means but realise that somehow it is a joke. Fair enough. A lot of humour is based on de-demonizing deep fears to make them easier to cope with.

There's a lot more to be said about 'Penny's' remark, but I give up, I'm sorry to say.

owlman5

English-US
    I've only heard it used in a certain way, RM1. A woman points at her breasts and says something like "I'm happy with these puppies." Or a woman who is considering breast implants might say "I'm getting implants. These puppies are a little too small." I've never heard anybody use "the puppies", however, and I haven't heard "puppies" often.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    My post crossed with ewie's: I hadn't read his before my own mention of 'puppies' as a term for breasts.
    It really is true, as owlman confirms. Some Americanladypersons :D:D:D use 'these puppies' to mean 'my boobs 'and, as far as I can see, Americanpersons, use it to mean pretty well anything that comes in twos or more. It seems to be a word like thingies or thingybejigs or wotsits, or 'emeffs', whatever you either don't know or don't want to say what they're called.
    Why 'puppies'? Don't ask me.

owlman5

English-US
    This is just a theory, Hermione, but I think "puppy" here is just another word for "thing". Like "thingies", the word isn't tied that strongly to the idea of breasts, but serves as an inoffensive stand-in for "boobs" or "tits".

Hermione Golightly

British English
    use 'these puppies' to mean 'my boobs '
    A woman points at her breasts and says something like "I'm happy with these puppies." Or a woman who is considering breast implants might say "I'm getting implants. These puppies are a little too small." I've never heard anybody use "the puppies", however, and I haven't heard "puppies" often.
    Exactly- a woman "points at or is talking about her own breasts". I have the impression that it is rather crude casual, but that may be quite wrong. It's just that I 'heard'/read it on online forums and online chats with other women I thought were crude in general or talked crudely in other respects.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    This is just a theory, Hermione, but I think "puppy" here is just another word for "thing". Like "thingies", the word isn't tied that strongly to the idea of breasts, but serves as an inoffensive stand-in for "boobs" or "tits".
    Yes, that's what I've concluded, from the outside. I've never heard a British person use 'puppies' other than for baby dogs. Then there are the shoes
    'HushPuppies' and the frozen things 'SlushPuppies'.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Taking the thread even more off topic, but I'd like to add that I've seen Scarlett Johansson (on video of course) refer to her boobs as "these guys", which I thought was "kinda cute".

< Previous | Next >