cranked yourself out

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
The second one is asking what time you actually cranked yourself out of bed and started doing things. The first one asks when you got out of the sleeping state. Perhaps you just lay in bed and listened to the birds, or read a book, or daydreamed, etc. while still in bed.

I found in dictionar that - crank something out = to produce something with no special care or effort:

But it is not appropriate in the above paragraph.

Could you tell me what this means?

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Yes, that's right - get out of bed without any effort - They are talking about different ways of waking up.

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    21.crank out, to make or produce in a mass-production, effortless, or mechanical way: She's able to crank out one best-selling novel after another. dictionary.com

Trapezium

UK, English
    This is an interesting construction. My instinct is to agree with skyblue96, but Siberia has a loaded dictionary as isn't afraid to use it.

I suspect that the expression "crank yourself out of bed" is not actually based on the verb phrase "crank out". "Out" is just a preposition applied to the the bed. Actually, "crank out" doesn't take an indirect object, come to think of it.

So its:

11.Machinery. to rotate (a shaft) by means of a crank.

Used figuratively to indicate the slow, ratcheting process of getting a sleepy person out of bed.

I love a good word argument :)

skyblue96

English United States
    yes this is pretty cool. :]

If I say that I cranked myself out of bed, it means that I got out of bed slowly and reluctantly, like Trapezium said.

But the "effortless" meaning is correct in Siberia's example: She's able to crank out one best-selling novel after another.

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    As I wrote the sentence in question, I will explain that "crank yourself (or myself) out of bed" indeed is the slow and painful process of getting out of bed in stages. It isn't necessarily related to sleepiness. My dad uses the phrase frequently. He's not sleepy, he just has difficulty getting upright and functioning.

Think of the kind of mechanical crank used to move something up and out of something else, and you will have the right image of crank. Then imagine that instead of someone or something else operating the crank, the something is operating it on its own. This always compounds the difficulty. Levering one's self is always more difficult than levering someone else.

Orange Blossom

< Previous | Next >